09 June 2008

Subway...Eat Fresh! (But change your clothes after)

Okay, for all of you who spazzed out over my "i.e. Brooke and Wendy" comment, I apologize. I didn't mean to imply that Brooke and Wendy are my only readers, just that they had commented on my previous post and requested to see pictures. I'm sorry I haven't posted them yet, I just haven't gotten around to uploading my memory card. I'm on it, though!

My question today is this: Why, upon entering a Subway establishment for any period of time, do you come out smelling so bad? Inside Subway, the fresh bread smells delightful. It's almost comforting, all those carbs in the air. But those molecules somehow bond instantly to my hair and clothes and it's all I can smell for the rest of the day. I was thinking about this today, after meeting Jenny and Adam for lunch. I was about to text Jenny and say "I smell like Subway" when I received this text from her "Smell yourself. You smell like Subway."

Then, about five minutes later, I was walking past my friend Jessie at work and she said "Oooh, you smell like Subway!" I think 9 out of 10 people could identify the Subway smell. Why does no other restaurant have a distinctive post-visit smell? Why is it so long-lasting? And, perhaps most troubling, why can I not identify what exactly that smell is? I was trying to figure out how to describe it for this blog, and all I could come up with was Subway. It doesn't smell like bread, or cookies, or anything else they sell at Subway. And now I have to breathe through my mouth for the rest of the day. Why don't they have drive-through Subways?

10 comments:

Annalise said...

I think Subway smells like ass. I hate going in there. They totally should get a drive-thru. Deliciousness without the smell.

Paige said...

Oddly, last time we went to Ruth's Chris (in Boston it's in the building that used to Benjamin Franklin's grade school!) I came out smelling distincly steak-y. Had to wash hair immediately. I hate smelling like non-cookie, non-fruit food.

bradget said...

In American Fork they do have a drive-thru Subway. It is delightful. Also, what about the 7-11 smell?

ww said...

Smells like you need to upload your memory card. Especially since rumor has it you won't be returning anytime soon.

Subway smells like squeezable mayo. Take a trip over to Los Hermanos if you want some serious post-smellage.

brookie said...

Another seriously smelly place is Benihanas! We won a free lunch there for work, and 3 of the chicks on our team refused free lunch to avoid the smell.

jenny said...

Bridget took my comment WORD FOR WORD. I was going to mention 7-11 how no matter what you come out smellin like that place for days. Unidentifiable smell there too. And I was going to mention the subway drive-thru by wal-mart in Orem. Let's hit that up next time.

I had to take my coat off at work, even though it was 12 degrees in there because I couldn't physically breathe I smelled so bad.

Tod said...

At least after 7-11 you smell like a slurpee, which is delightful. Are you happy Jenny that I linked you finally? I must say that your idea for a blog name was genious. I haven't come up with something better. It describes my life in a sort of way.

ww said...

It's Thursday morning. And you're a liar.

ashley said...

Tod, first you don't link her and then you call her Jenny! Come on!

Tod said...

sorry Kristin. I got you confused. It's just usually Jenny is angry at me. So my conditioned response to that is for Jenny. Mind your own business Ashley:) I will tell Sam to give you farticles when you see him again.