15 September 2008

Memories

Like the corners of my mind. Or my closet. As many of you may know, especially my roommates, I've been cleaning out my closet in an effort to clear space for Adam's Gigabyte Empire. My most recent conquest was memory corner, aka the four boxes of ticket stubs, letters, programs, and random knickknack's I've been collecting since I moved to Provo after graduating high school. More than a few of these items made me laugh out loud, so I put Adam's scanner (in my loving custody for the next 349 days) to good use.

This was a contract Bridget made me sign freshman year after I chickened out at a hair appointment where I was supposed to chop my hair off. I did finally cut my hair, but I don't think I dyed it. We should give this to Bridget's mom and get her opinion on whether or not green marker on the back of my Humanities syllabus would be legally binding.This is the Christmas letter that Bridget, Ashley, Sage and I planned to send to friends and family for the holidays our freshman year. We also staged a photo shoot where we wore all black and draped Christmas lights around us. I don't have any digital copies of these pictures, but maybe Bridge or Ashley can oblige. They are hilarious.

This is a list I wrote in silver pen on black post-it note. Celebrities I thought were dreamy. And here I was hoping to deny eternally that I ever found Matthew McConaughey remotely attractive. I shudder at the thought. #6 is Jaron, of Evan and Jaron. Also, I had to google Brandon Albright and still can't figure out who he is. I really think he was a BYU student who we saw in a concert or musical at BYU and thought was cute. And finally, I can guarantee both Ashley and Bridget know what prompted me to put #9 Justin Timberlake on the list.



This is the invoice I got from TV Guide when Ashley and Sage signed us up for a subscription under the name Ms. Chenandler Bong. If you've ever seen Friends, that one pretty much explains itself.


Here, proof that we were once sweet and thoughtful roommates who left each other notes, and that we were crazy weirdos who had fake names we actually called each other. I was Julia, Bridget was Kennedi (with an i), Ashley was Meg, and Sage was Taylor. I can't remember why we came up with these names. But I do remember that my middle name was Rayne.

This is the crumpled-up remains of a paper we kept on the bathroom door to write down our inside jokes so we could remember them. Unfortunately, six years later, I don't remember what probably 1/3 of them mean. I hope Maria's doin her homework? A refrigerator, I'm so happy? I think Bridget has the other half of this list.

This is a phone message Bridget took for me toward the end of our freshman year. Brooke and I were planning to live in a very cute yellow house south of campus the next year and signed contracts with our potential landlord. She then called back the next day to cancel our contracts because she was getting divorced and wanted the house for herself. Then she called back the next next day and said nevermind, I'm not getting divorced! By this point we realized the landlord was crazy and decided to go in a different direction. I love two things about this post-it. First, that Brooke and I came this close to having a landlord names Pamela Anderson, and second, that Bridget wrote "No Divorce - house is open." It just cracks me up for some reason.

Anyway, those were all freshman year memories, but I think they're pretty universally humorous.

8 comments:

jenny said...

hahah Kennedi with an I!? I don't know why that is so funny. Here is what else is funny: http://www.myspace.com/brandonalbrightmusic

ashley said...

aahhhh...this is the best post ever. I have some seriously good stuff too...I'll have to warm up the scanner. Get ready for some Christmas light photos!

I can't believe you published that letter.

ashley said...

I forgot-what did we do with those posters, and I still have my JT card somewhere. It was in my wallet for years.

Becoming Supersonic said...

Wow, I recently went through my West Dean collection and it doesn't hold a candle to that.

bradget said...

Wow, I can't believe how awesome we are. I'm still convinced that we are the funniest people on the planet. Don't care who disagrees. Love you :)

bradget said...

Oh I just thought of something else from freshman year that still makes me laugh, I can't believe we were so sacreligious remember: "brother to brother, yours in life and death..." ??

ww said...

I love all of this on so many levels! Does Jules have anything to do with your past love of vacations?

Bridgie, fly out here with Blue Crush in-hand.

Maren and Kurt said...

Hello there Kristin! I am so glad you found my blog...I am so bad at updating it. How the heck are you? We need to catch up via email or phone or something. Let me know how that could be done-Maren