15 July 2008

Debate

In high school, I literally wouldn't leave the house unless my hair was freshly washed, dried, and curled. I remember waking up late a couple of times and faking a sore throat so I didn't have to go to school un-coiffed. Heaven forbid Anthony Schiavo see me with messy hair!

Over the years, I've outgrown that habit, often feeling free to go to class under the comforting shield of a baseball hat. I know, I've come a long way. These days, I've started washing my hair only every other day or so, for several reasons. One, it's just too much of a hassle to do my ridiculously thick hair every morning, and I'd rather sleep the extra hour. Two, I feel like I've wasted huge amounts of water in my life washing not-dirty hair. Plus, I've heard it's better for your hair to wash no more than three times a week. Anyway, the new system has worked well for me. I take shorter showers and sleep a little more, and it's meant there are fewer days I go to work with my hair pulled back in a conservative ponytail.

Enter the new X factor: The Biggest Loser. In an effort to secure the $400 pot, I've been hitting the gym every day after work, which makes me feel like I have to wash my hair every day again on account of being sweaty.

I was complaining today about my forced increase in hair-washing frequency and a friend at work said that she doesn't always shampoo after the gym, but for some reason that creeps me out. I like to feel 100% scrubbed off after a visit to 24 Hour Fitness, if only because I don't personally control the level of bacterial growth. (Cue gag reflex at barefooted woman on the stationary bike)

I can't say that I've paid much attention to the rate at which my scalp sweats. My question is this: Do you wash your hair after working out? I just don't know how I feel about it.

And thank you for suffering through this utterly trivial and self-indulgent post, if you've made it this far.

12 comments:

jenny said...

Yeah. Do it. I can smell you from my room.

I kid.

But seriously. I at least rinse if not a full shampoo. If you don't wash completely, at least rinse. Then you won't waste expensive hair productry but you aren't nasty.

Unknown said...

you gotta bathe post working out...its just wrong if you dont. but way to go girl workin out so much! i've been doing manuel labor for my mom...which is only really working out my arms...but i've got a killer tan and tanner people look skinnier right? isnt that what the hawaiians say? miss you!

ashley said...

My head doesn't sweat that much, so I don't always (I shower, no worries).

PS-I like the one word titles to your posts.

Clay and Katy said...

ok gross...i totally have to bathe/shampoo post work outs...and i am feeling you on the thick hair taking too long to do in the mornings but the more hair the more sweat right??? it is my moms fault...we showered every day, no questions asked!

Paige said...

I'm with Jenny. I at least rinse after the gym - but still only shampoo three times a week.

bradget said...

We have totally different hair, but I have to wash my hair after the gym. I get sweaty at my hair line and no amount of face washing can get that taken care of. gross. I can't believe I'm leaving a comment about sweat.

Katie & Andy said...

My suggestion, cut the hair off, lose a pound or two in the process, and save that high quality hair product and H2O. Problem solved.

banananutmeg said...

ok i have the SAME problem...here is my solution. Alternate working out in the morning and in the evening. It takes some time to figure it all out but here's an example.

Monday am: get up work out, shower, get cute, go to work

Tuesday: don't wash hair, get cute, go to work

Tuesday PM work out

Wednesday AM: get up, work out, shower, get cute, go to work

Thursday: don't wash hair, get cute, go to work

Thursday PM: work out

this system will take some adjustment, but it's worth $400 and you get a workout in everyday.

just look me up if the universe needs any other problems solved!

Becoming Supersonic said...

Ok, I realize you don't need any more input on this subject, but I feel obliged to comment. Yes, wash post workout....unless like Ashley you don't have a sweaty head.

Annalise said...

So maybe I'm gross, but I don't wash my hair after the gym, just the normal every other day washing. Yes, for a bit after wards it is a gross, but I usually just blow it dry or leave my hair up and once it's dried I can't really tell the difference from before. And if I feel my hair is too smelly, then I just spray it with Febreze. Weird I know, but it WORKS. And I save on time, shampoo, water, and my hair is much more healthy.

Kate and Robbie said...

So, Call me gross...but my hair would fall out if i washed it twice a day...I usually don't wash after working out...but i bathe or shower, and still feel clean and smell clean...Your hair will be healthier too...and thank you for not washing it all the time if you ask me? But i could be gross.

Katie said...

So i have another good solution and i am not sure if i have told you about it yet. Dry shampoo. You get it at rite aid and its called Psssssssst, I think its $6. Thats what i do.
Also you guys need to come over to the new house! We can do a movie night in the Theater room!